Thursday, September 13, 2018

Sad Times

Well, I have to make a sad announcement. With all the crap this year, I've had to trash the plans for 200k words this year.  I will attempt it again next year, and I will be doing NaNoWriMo in November this year. I've lost over 3 months so far this year, so it's kind of a pipe dream to try and do 200k at this point.

The two biggest obstacles I've faced this year are the closing of my job, and an amputation. Both kind of hit at the same time, making it a double whammy and doubly hard to deal with. The job required me to work from home (wasn't an option,) move to Wilmington (glad I didn't with the Florence thing..) or take severance. I took the $$$, and they are paying my insurance for a few months. That worked out as I had a major health crisis in June that resulted in a below the knee amputation of my left leg on June 26.

I am currently still in the healing process. I spent two months in rehab, getting physical and occupational therapy. None of which really prepared me for life when I was sent home by the insurance company. Getting to the bathroom requires crawling, they did not teach me to cook or perform other daily tasks. I am pretty sure they assumed I would have someone around me 24 hours a day. In reality, I'm alone 8-10 hours a day, making life very complicated. I'm managing to adjust, but I just want my damn leg. After the doctor visit today, the prosthetist made it clear I still have a bit of healing to do before we can put me in the prosthetic. Luckily, the insurance has already approved the leg, so they can build it and just hold on to it until I'm good enough to use it. Using it too early can have some ugly consequences, including losing more of the leg, so I will wait until they determine it is time. All in all, a shitty year, but we plod on. It has to get better eventually, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home