Sunday, January 28, 2018

January Ending

So, only a couple of days left in January, and my 200k Challenge for 2018 is already very far behind.  The cumulative word count for today is 12,374 and I have a paltry 7,024. Granted, there is a lot going on in my life right now. Since I proposed on Jan 1, there is wedding planning,  and I returned to work this month after an absence due to medical issues.  Getting back up to speed at a job that is constantly changing is no picnic, let me tell you.

My lacking word count disappoints me even more as I am the one that started this challenge and roped others into it as well. I should be at least keeping pace, and I plan to give my best effort to hit goal by Jan 31. This is not a good start, and I will overcome that and hit my goal for the year, as I'm sure others that have taken up this challenge will as well. I'm sitting here in Panera, working away at word count. I found an old novel I'd been working on stashed away on Google Docs. That bonus is that I'm rewriting it, which is going faster than writing from scratch. So, that may help me hit goal for the month. It's a novel I was sure I had lost all copies of, so finding it was an unexpected surprise of the first order. Maybe I can actually finish the damn thing now. It was a great idea, and I believe it still is. One of my better ideas, actually. And to find it when you believed it was gone forever and that you could never start over and have it be as good as it was is a good thing.

I have to tout a few of my favorite writing things here. Scrivener is the software for noveling that I wish I had been able to get my hands on years ago. It simplifies the process so much!  Yes, the learning curve is a bit daunting, but there is a book, Scrivener for Dummies, that really simplifies it to the point it's much easier to use without watching hours of tutorials on YouTube. A caution, be careful what flash drives you pick up online. I found an all metal flash drive (256MB) that was just too cool looking to pass up.  On the third use, my files disappeared. Looking at reviews online, that was not uncommon. It appears some foriegn companies are making these drives in 16 or 32GB format and using firmware that makes them read as much larger. They will eventually (apparently very quickly) fail, and you are in danger of losing your work. So, beware!  Finally, I got a rechargable Bluetooth keyboard to use with my tablet, and found it works well with my phone. Makes for a lot more portable if you want to write at the park or somewhere you don't want to lug the laptop to. I got an Anker from Amazon.  My fiancee liked it as well, but found one at WalMart she liked the layout and feel of a bit better. That one runs on AA batteries and was under $20, but she's been using it for a while now and loves it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home