Tuesday, January 16, 2018

A New Challenge

First, a little background. 2017 was the Year of Shit. I wasn't posting here, because I spent a majority of the year in and out of the hospital  In June, I almost died, according to the doctors. Blood clots in the lungs, a collapsed lung, pneumonia, fluid buildup, and numerous infections. That resulted in a 37 day hospital stay, 8 of those in ICU. 

My primary care physician had missed all this, telling me my lungs were fine and this was just a lasting effect from a bout of bronchitis. Needless to say, I changed doctors as soon as I got out of the hospital. The fluid buildup was bad. Thanks to a catheter and IV diuretics, I dropped 115 lbs. in 14 days. Not a weight loss program I would recommend.  According to the ER docs, if we had not called the ambulance, I would not have made it to morning. 

Then in October, I needed surgery on my foot. I was carjacked in our parking lot at 3am that morning. Lost my laptop, phone, kindle, and other things that were in the car. Luckily a friend was available to get us to the hospital. My girlfriend had totaled her car two weeks earlier, so no we had no vehicle.  At the hosptial, we found out the infection in my foot (related to the fluid problem) had gone into the bone. It looked as if they might have to take part of my foot. As luck would have it, they managed to get it all without having to take any part of my foot.  

So, this year has to be better, right?  On the positive side, I proposed to my long time girlfriend on January 1, and she accepted!  Also, I took on a challenge to give me more writing discipline. I am doing a 200,000 word challenge for 2018. Since I plan on doing NaNo as usual, that only leaves about 550 words/day for the rest of the year. I invite anyone interested to join me. We have a page on Facebook, 200k Year (200k Word Challenge for 2018)

I will be posting to this regularly now that things are somewhat back to normal. I encourage y'all to write more, and enjoy life. I almost lost it twice last year, and it definitely changes your outlook on what is important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home